Sunday, April 15, 2012

In Awe of Creation



I admit, I am not really a nature person. I like to be outdoors - hiking, camping, beach, bike riding - but I don't live for it. I like flowers and scenery because I think they are pretty. I like the weather, just because I like the changes in weather. I have a hard time looking at the nature that God created and being in awe of God's creation. I try - but it often feels fake. I try to teach my kids that God made it all and to respect nature and to look at it's beauty from the perspective of God revealing himself through it, but I struggle doing it myself.

On Friday night, I stood in awe of God's creation and the beauty He reveals of himself through it.

It was an amazing experience to share with my 4-year-old. We were driving home from Costco when it started to rain (again.) As we sat at a red light, it started to hail. While it was hailing, the sky to our left was bright blue with fluffy white clouds and the bright, almost blinding sun peaking out from them. The sky to our right was dark shades of grey and the biggest, brightest rainbow I had ever seen (honestly.) It was my son's first rainbow that he can remember.

It was beautiful and for the first time that I can remember, I was consumed with God's majesty - His creation - His love - His beauty - His order - His perfection. I can't explain it, but if you've ever experienced this you know what I am trying to say.

While my son was so excited about this rainbow, I took the opportunity to tell him the story of Noah and why God created rainbows. As I looked at the different scenes, the bright blue sky while it was hailing and the dark grey sky with the rainbow, it was such a reminder of God's presence and when all skies seem dark and worries are pounding down on me.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment